In which two intrepid travelors leave the comforts of their Indiana homes, in order to teach Bible classes to the good people of Tyumen, Russia. If you are new to the blog you may want to start with the first post, which is the bottom one on the archive at the right (under April).







Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Pics from around town

Okay, I'm pretty sleep deprived right now (and I just woke up!), so I am not up to much writing. But just for you, gentle readers, I will upload some pictures from around town;

This is Jeff and Amy's apartment complex where we are staying


This is me striking my Lenin pose

This is the largest apartment complex in town, called either, "the great wall", or ,"the ant hill"



This is the theatre building (think "Nutcracker Suite", not "Star Wars")


Behind me is a pedestrian bridge, called, "the lover's bridge". After getting married, tradition dictates that the couple go to the bridge, throw something over (I forget what), and then tie a padlock on the railing (symbolizing something about the steadfastness of their love). Over my left shoulder is a Russian Orthodox Church. Over my right, way in the background, is a Russian Orthodox Monastary.


This is a typical courtyard behind a typical apartment complex


This is some random building with a cool mural

This is the back of the new Cultural Center


And this is the front


Here is a closeup of the monastary. No, I dont know if that is actual gold flake, but it sure shines like it is



Their are a LOT of Russian Orhtodox churches


This is a World War II era statue, honoring the male students who went off to war, and the female students who stayed behind and worked for the war

No comments:

Post a Comment