In which two intrepid travelors leave the comforts of their Indiana homes, in order to teach Bible classes to the good people of Tyumen, Russia. If you are new to the blog you may want to start with the first post, which is the bottom one on the archive at the right (under April).







Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A mixed crowd and some mixed feelings

The grace of God shows up in the strangest ways. When I came here, I knew no-one in the whole country (besides my hosts), and now I feel very close to my students and the people I work beside. I do not have to psyche myself up for teaching; I love these people in a way I would not have thought possible, and am thrilled to study the scriptures together. Let me introduce just a few of them.

Ileac possesses more passion for the truth than almost anyone I know. He seems about to explode. He was saved about six years ago out of a hard-drinking lifestyle, and now, still in his twenties, I would not be surprised to see him become an evangelist, pastor or Bible teacher. He certainly knows more than I did at that age.

Igor is not a Christian, but comes everyday to catch some native English. He is a physicist between jobs (I’m not sure how that works). Igor says he likes the Christians very much, but is not ready to become one himself.

Valentine is a university student who also comes just for the English. He’s getting a lot more.

Sveta is a doctor of around 45, and has very deep Bible knowledge.

Luda is a young woman of perhaps 30, who is a mother of six. She seems a very vibrant Christian.

Kitya looks 20, but she is the mother of a five year old. I’m not sure if she is a believer.

Valentina is one of my favorites. This woman is perhaps 70, yet takes a two hour bus trip each way for the bible classes. From what I understand, she has the entire book of Psalms memorized. Valentina’s face is as wrinkled as a crumpled-up paper bag, but it is beautiful to me. Her smile could light up a stadium.

This tableau shows what a mixed crowd we have. Some will quote Bible passages relevant to our study from the top of their heads, leaving me wishing I had thought of that one. Others could not find the book of Matthew if you held a pistol to their head. Budding theologians and confirmed atheists. But God has given me a great affection for them all.

I have only two more classes. This is the first mission trip where I felt such a wonderful melding of my gifts, the needs of the students, and my love for them. I miss my family and church greatly, but still it will be hard to part.

No comments:

Post a Comment